Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Color Charts


One thing that has always fascinated me about other artists is how they get so good at using color in their paintings. Is it intuitive or years of practice? I have tried several times to replicate what I read in an article or a video or attend a workshop with some seriously great artist's in my eyes. So many ways to get to your goal. I'm talking about the color mixtures and relationships I can create with tube colors. I first read about color charts in "Alla Prima" by Richard Schmid. After reading "Color and Light" by James Gurney felt like starting these charts again.

I have done the charts before at found a little understanding only to abandon the palette chasing new color palettes by different artists. Well during my research I have started to dig into the actual pigments in the tube colors and reduced the number of colors on my palette.

This palette consists of cadmium yellow pale hue, yellow ochre, vermillion, permanent alizarin crimson, burnt sienna, french ultramarine blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment