Wednesday, April 28, 2010

TONING CANVAS & PRE-GESSOED HARDBOARD

I have used many different techniques to tone canvas that I have learned about over the last year. I only work with oil paint so those that use acrylic paint will have different views. I started toning my canvas because white did, and does intimidate me because I was rusty using oil paint. I have learned many things from these Artists Mark Carder uses Holbein quick drying white some thinner like Gamsol by Gamblin, and burnt umber to get a water mixture that will dry in 24 hours. I have also followed Sean Cheetham, Justin "El Coro" Kaufman, Dave Kramer, Jeff Legg just to name a few.

The ones I like the best are using transparent oxide red and olive green in a 50/50 mix. It produces a nice brown. I place some odorless mineral spirit on the surface then the colors in a thin wash ala Justin "El Coro" Kaufman. I use raw umber with a touch of cobalt blue this provides a cool surface you could leave it dry or place it on top of a thinner and work as previously stated with a slightly wet ground this comes from Jeff Legg I haven’t actually read this I saw it on You Tube in is promo video from Liliedahl video productions. I also like what Sean Cheetham does on his canvases. He uses a mixture of olive green, alizarin crimson, and indian yellow.

There are many different ways to tone a canvas such as mixing cool and warm grays. I just gravitate to using these colors as my preference.

1 comment:

  1. Post one or two photos of the toned canvases so I can visualize it better please.

    ReplyDelete